Monday, June 23, 2008

Nice is nice

We just arrived in Nice, France yesterday, where we'll be working over the summer. Eric will be directing a summer study abroad program for high school students. It's a French immersion dormitory program with 85 students in a beautiful residential French school in the heart of town. For the past 7 years, I have co-directed French study abroad programs with my husband, but this summer I am just doing the accounting in exchange for my plane ticket. I am excited for 5 1/2 weeks of summer in the French Riviera!

I brought just one baby carrier with me, my Fauxhawk, and I think I'll need either a stroller or a baby backpack. I thought she'd be able to walk farther distances, but she can only go so far on foot. And it's too hot with her directly on my back, except for short walks or late in the evening. I had a hiking backpack that I bought at a consignment store, but it started falling apart at all of the stress points in the past few weeks, and now it has no structural integrity. I was disappointed that it only lasted 9 months. Since we have a great running stroller back home, I think I'll look for an inexpensive umbrella style stroller.

The past 3 weeks have been incredibly busy: getting an offer on our house, packing and moving and then driving back to our old town (all of our flights were booked before we put our house on the market), going to family reunions in northern Wisconsin and upstate New York, and then traveling to France. Zari didn't handle the jet lag very well this year, but it was probably because she also got sick during the plane ride: fever and nausea. She's in a much better mood today after a long, but fitful, night's sleep.

Zari is pulling toilet paper off the roll and putting it into the toilet. At least she knows where it belongs...I better go!

5 comments:

  1. It's so nice to hear from you again Rixa! Enjoy your summer program!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Rixa, I was going to email you; forgot you guys go to France in the summer.

    Anyway, I've had some interesting discussions lately with my brother and a close friend, who are both in med school, about UC. They've very against it (I want to say "of course," but I'm not sure ALL doctors are against it).

    I was hoping I could point to your site for a rational, considered discussion of the recent AMA resolutions, but of course you've been (super!) busy.

    So then I thought, well, I'll put together a list of my favorite 5 of her posts. But you don't have a search box. ARGH.

    I've probably asked you this (or something similar) before, but who do you recommend (bloggers are easiest to find) for doctor-type people who want facts and statistics more than feel-good "trust birth" type stuff. I know, emotion isn't (shouldn't be) inferior to reason, but logic and statistics are what these med school types need.

    Sorry to go on so long. Any thoughts? (and can you get a search box on your site please?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rixa, I'm glad to hear that you made it to France okay. I hoep everything with the move went okay. Could you include a picture of the school you guys are at? I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering how you were doing. Glad you are all settled in. Enjoy your summer in France. Eat some food for me. I served my mission there many years ago and I still dream of the food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rixa!

    Have missed your blogging and was looking forward to your reaction, re: the AMA release.

    What a busy June you've had! It sounds like you have a spectacular 5+ weeks planned -- enjoy! Glad to know the move went well, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...